Monday, July 26, 2010

Birthday Weekend

Friday was Sonny's birthday! He was one year old (even though he is HUGE). I had wanted to have him a big birthday party. I found CUTE invitations with a dog that looked just like him on the front.

I found a recipe for dog cake. I had the perfect party plan and a guest list. Unfortunately, I let time get a little away from me so I really didn't have enought time to get details nailed down, and on top of that my mom told me I was crazy to have a birthday party for a dog. A party is a party, right?? Oh well. Since we didn't have a lot of time we decided just to do it low key (meaning I had to take back the invitations-sad). Instead of a huge party, we decided we would go to the lake, his FAVORITE place, and spend the weekend. I also invited my cousin Stevie and his wife Melissa (who got married the week after we did) and their dogs Molly and Mia (technically my cousin Andrew's dog), who are a few months younger than Sonny.

With Stevie and Melissa on their wedding day

Mia and Molly

They are weimaraners/lab mixes so they are about Sonny's size. Stevie had been wanting to get them up to the water to see if they loved it as much as Sonny, so I thought this would be a great opportunity. On Thursday night I baked the puppy cake as well as some "human" cupcakes. The cake was actually super easy to do and actually tasted great (peanut butter, honey, flour, and shredded carrots, can't go wrong-see recipe below). I decided to draw Sonny's face on it in icing and in my head it was going to be easy and awesome. Not so much. It looks like Sonny did it himself. Maybe I should have just said that he did and let everyone be amazed instead of having them laugh at my sad attempt at cake decorating. I will leave that to the Cake Boss.

This was after a car ride, but still, I am NO cake artist!

Friday came and we still had lots to do. I had scheduled a time with the Humane Society of Etowah County to bring Ruffles by and sign her papers, since I had been neglecting that duty for months! When we got there she remembered exactly where she was. She greeted all of the employees and even ran and got in her old bed! It was so nice to see how she felt about the employees. They have a great group there and if my spoiled little puppy can go back there and be excited, they must be treating all of the animals with love and care! Everyone thought she looked so adorable in her little bow and said that she looked like she had grown and finally filled out! She was a little unhappy when they microchipped her, but she LOVED all of the attention! Now she is actually an official Bailey!
That night we went to dinner at our friends the Sollie's house. Have I mentioned that they bought the house we originally wanted and we bought the house they wanted? Great minds think alike! They were having a "bring your own meat" night, so we brought some marinated chicken for Adam to grill for us. Every couple also brought a dish, so I brought my baked rice. I had to double the recipe and I didn't think it was as tasty as usual. Also there were the Gladdens and the Banks. We really had a great time just laughing and chatting with each other! After a great dinner, we ran home to load the car and the dogs and went to meet Stevie and Melissa at my parents' house. We all wanted to get to the lake that night so we could wake up there in the morning, so they came and had dinner with my family until we were ready to go.

When we got to the lake, Sonny and Molly and Mia went crazy! They ran and chased each other and wrestled all night--it was so cute! That was NOTHING compared to Saturday, though. The dogs (all except Ruffles) got up at 6 am. Sonny immediately got in the water and basically stayed there all day.

He did this most of the day!

Floating with Stevie as Molly looks on

Molly and Mia weren't fans of the water but loved to chase tennis balls with Sonny and I know they enjoyed having a lot of space to run around in!

We laid out and watched them play until it got a little stormy looking. We went in to eat and ended up watching a Cake Boss marathon all afternoon--seriously--we got sort of addicted. My sister came and we decided we'd had enough cake so we went back out with the dogs. We ended up staying outside until at least 7!

Ruffles and Mary Margaret getting some sun

After showers, we had a great dinner. Stevie had brought porterhouse steaks marinated in olive oil, basalmic vinegar, and garlic (I may be leaving something out). We also had baked potatoes, left over baked rice, and a big salad. After dinner it was time for the birthday cake! Forrest cut all of the dogs their own piece and I had my camera ready to take Sonny's pic eating his cake. That never happened because he downed it in one bite!

Action shot of Sonny and his cake

They LOVED the cake! I was so excited! The would have eaten the entire thing, if we had let them! The cupcakes I made for the people were pretty good too (funfetti-my fave) as was the mint chocolate chip ice cream! That night the dogs were exhausted. I'm sure Sonny had the best birthday ever!
On Sunday we came home for Mass and I napped all afternoon before running to the grocery store. We took our weekly visit to Mom and Dad's for dinner (bbq chicken-delish) and were home and asleep, ready for Monday. At about midnight, a bolt of lightening hit right by our house, setting off our alarm. The power went out, confusing the alarm so we couldn't turn it off. It was SCREAMING for 1/2 an hour until we got the alarm people on the phone and they told us what to do! We had 4 unhappy animals (and 2 unhappy people). Ruffles hid in the closet and poor Sonny kept wimpering. We finally got to sleep about 1, but then the power came back on at 3 and it screamed at us again! It thankfully stopped and we had to settle everyone down again and get back to sleep. This morning the alarm company came and reset it and thankfully everything is fine now! We are both exhausted today, so I'm hoping our night is far less eventful tonight!
Puppy Cake Recipe
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup honey (I probably used 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup peanut butter (I used closer to 1 cup)
1 egg
Mix flour and baking soda. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Bake at 350 for 30 min in a greased 8in round cake pan. Let cool complete and frost with rest of the jar of peanut butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one of them and they always make me smile!

Blogging tips