Denial-That did NOT just happen!! Tell me that did not just happen! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN!
- He was out of bounds!! (or "he crossed the plain" or "that was interference", what have you (proceed to rewind play on DVR about 800 times--realize that even though parents have used gift of DVR about 5 times in last year that it was totally worth the money at this moment).
- They have to review it! They have to review it! (they don't review it)
- refuse to discuss it at all, with anyone
- swear off Facebook and twitter for a few days (I highly recommend this)
- read NO articles about the game UNLESS they are about how your team still has a shot at the big time
- NEVER turn on Sportscenter again
- Immediately delete recording of game on DVR
Sadness- curl up in your bed and turn the lights off (my sister) or change the channel and cry while watching Finding Nemo (Deb)
- realize that your birthday plans (turning 30 in Pasadena at the National Championship game) and your husband's plans (SEC Championship birthday party, red and white themed) are now ruined. Cry some more while googling alternate plans
- leave the party you were at early to go home and wallow
-don't make it to the next event because you are just too sad to be cheerful
Anger- blame the coaches ( well honestly they probably know more about it than us so we should keep our mouths shut. We love you Coach Saban, Cochran, Smart, etc! Please don't leave us!)
- NEVER blame the players (these are children playing a game--you cannot blame a child for a loss and you should NEVER take to social media and blast them. I'd like to see you out there kicking field goals, catching passes, etc!)
- blame yourself (WHY didn't Forrest eat his lucky game day biscuit? WHY did I wear a new shirt to watch this game--it was untested! This is what I get for not going to those 2 home games where we were guaranteed a win--I'm sorry Coach Saban I'm SOOOO sorrrrrrrryyyyyyy!!!!!)
- blame the refs: (is shaking your butt really a false start? that was NOT holding my friend! Where was the targeting call!!!) (or similar lamentations)
Acceptance- If so and so loses and so and so wins big then we will go to the X bowl (look up flights)
- Realize that in the past 4 years we have won 3 national championships and you got to witness one of them.
- realize that now you can put the money you saved for a national championship ticket into another cool trip (look up flights)
-realize that if certain things happen and the team that beat you wins they might go to the national championship, meaning the state of Alabama could possibly win it 5 years in a row
- follow all of the players from your team on twitter (favorite and retweet their inspirational tweets like it is your job)
- remember that you are 11-1 and just a few short years ago you would have KILLED to be 11-1--count your blessings and your wins and appreciate every second that you are a BAMA fan (or whatever kind of fan)
I love my team, win or lose. The sting of a loss after a season full of winning is hard and unexpected. It feels like a broken heart, actually. BUT, the love for my team and the hours of fun that the provide us will always be there. We were Bama fans when we were losing 6 games a year and so of course we are fans when we lose just 1 game. It keeps us humble, it keeps us hungry, it keeps us appreciated. Thank you for all of the hard work you put into making my Saturdays fantastic, guys!! ROLL TIDE!!