Saturday, July 7, 2018

Frances’s birth story

Better late than never right?! Here we go! When my pregnancy was confirmed with Frances and they told me her due date, I immediately began planning her induction date. She was due to be born at the end of spring break and well that just wasn’t going to work for me—my mom is a teacher and I knew I would need her help, so I was hoping I could have Frances the week before the break so I would benefit from moms whole week off. Finally it was time to schedule the induction and since everything was progressing well I scheduled it for the Thursday before spring break, which was 39 weeks. I was super excited about this induction because I had to be induced with Charlotte and the process was so easy! No pain, no rush to throw things in a bag to get to the hospital, no wondering if it was real labor or not (granted Charlotte’s induction was slightly an emergency but that is a different tale) just an easy scheduled delivery. I was making zero progress in the delivery department anyway so I never thought I wouldn’t make it to the appointed time. No sir! This delivery was going to go according to plan! Also, to throw a little added drama in the mix, my cousin was getting married on the 17th and my induction was the Thursday after. Was I worried? Not really. Aside from being huge I had no reason to think I would go into labor early. I was so excited to spend the wedding weekend with the family and to se Charlotte’s debut as a flower girl. I was going to getthe all clear from my doctor at my check up on Wednesday, pack us up on Thursday (Charlotte’s gorgeous wedding weekend wardrobe and my gigantic one that I had ordered specifically for the occasion), and head down to Birmingham to kick the weekend off at the bridesmaidsluncheon Friday morning. Alas, as they so often do, the baby had a different plan. 
On Wednesday the 14th I dropped Charlotte off at school and then went and packed up some things from my office. We had decided to close my office and for metotake a long leave so I could adjust to life with two little girls. I packed up some boxes and got some lamps in the car and did a few errands. I went to see the doctor at 1:30, and after checking me she said I hadn’t really made any progress since the week before so I should be good to go for the wedding. I text this to the bride and my aunt and went home and took a nap with Charlotte (whom mrs Jill had bright Home from school). Afterwards I got dinner ready and started to unpack our bathroom. (We started a bathroom reno in January and it still wasn’t finished but the drawers and cabinets finally had doors so I wanted up put everything back in them). When forrest got home and we sat down to dinner my lower back was hurting. I attributed this to the loading I did at my office and the bathroom organizing I had done that day. I remember messaging with a friend saying I hadn’t had any contrafions, unless of course this pain in my back was contrafions hahaha! I took two Tylenol and went on my merry way with the nighttime routine. 
Flash forward to 1:30 am—I wake up as I so often did in the night to use the bathroom. I was annoyed that my back was still hurting but Tylenol rarely worked for me so I wasn’t surprised. I rolled around trying to get comfortable, adjusting my legs and belly with pillows and piles of sheets and settled back down. And then I felt a sharp pain that made me jump. What the heck was that?! Am I in labor? Hahaha no silly you haven’t had any practice contractions haha. (The key to remember is that I was induced with Charlotte and never had to “go into labor”). By now I was awake so I got up and walked around so as to not wake up forrest and I was still hurting. At 2:30 I text the doctor, more for peace of mind rather than anything, and she surprisingly text back (as she was up with a teething baby). I told her I thought I might be having contractions but my tummy wasn’t hurting, just my back. She said lay down and drink some water and eat something. So I had some chocolate and peanut butter Cheerios. Then I text to say I was having this weird pain now that went around my back and squeezed in the front. She said the front squeeze was a contraction. I was like oh great a practice contraction. I have court at 8am and have to pack for this wedding I do not have time to be up all night with this nonsense. She said I needed to time them. So I started to type the time I felt the “front squeeze” into my phone. Lord have mercy they were every 5 minutes. I could predict them before they even came. Then they started to really hurt. I got out a puppy pad to sit on in case my water broke. I ever put one in the bed and tried to lay down thinking they would go away, but no. I would roll off the couch into a ball on the floor until they passed and then sit back up and tell myself they would stop. I wasn’t in labor. I had too much to do and I hadn’t even had any Braxton Hicks yet so these were not real. When they reached the 3 minute mark, I gave up. I text the doctor again and she said to go in. This was around 330 or so. I finished packing my bag and then packed Forrest’s. In between contractions I made a list for my mom about what she would need to pack for Charlotte for the wedding. I was so sad because I knew I was missing it. At 430 I woke forrest up. He immediately said “is it time?!” Mind you he had been dead asleep and we had never prepared for this moment so for all he knew the House was on fire, but he knew. I immediately started to cry—I wasn’t ready, I didn’t want to miss seeing Charlotte as a flower girl, and I was hurting. He called my mom and she came over and we started out the door about 5:20 to my car—that was loaded down with lamps and boxes from the office. By now I was really in pain. I couldnt y’all during the contractions and was squeezing the door handles. It was so hard to check in and fill out the forms because I was in such pain, but when the contraction stopped I was totally fine. Finally I got to a room and was begging for an epidural which they wouldn’t give me until the did my lab work. I refused any other medicine for about and hour until I was thrashing around the bed so badly I couldn’t take it. So they gave me some sort of medicine that help exactly 2 contractions and wore off in an hour. I was sobbing in her bed and saying “I want to go home” over and over. Finally blood was drawn and the crna arrived. I was hurting and moving so much I was afraid of the epidural because you have to be so still but they got it in. And it didn’t work. I ended up getting stuck 3 times before it worked and I was a hot mess. So they gave me a “narcotic block” and I was immediately drunk and I started to lose feeling in my hands and then my tongue. Once they adjusted me I was better. I couldn’t open my eyes much but I sat and listened to forrest and my sister talk—I have no idea when she got there to be honest. I progressed really quickly and when I was feeling like I wasn’t dying it was nice to sit and talk while we waited. I’m pretty sure my brother in law Davis who handled court for me came and brought forrest lunch  is that I’m thinking about it. I also told the nurse that I pushed for two hours with Charlotte and didn’t want to do that again and she said she would make sure Frances was ready to come out before the pushing started. Well not long after it was time to push! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one of them and they always make me smile!

Blogging tips